Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Journey of Teaching

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius


The first picture I chose to represent myself as a teacher is a quiet, calm stream in southern Minnesota. Although I have never been considered to be quiet, nor calm in many cases, I do seek, as well as most, tranquility in my life. The smooth, stable skin of the river represents the patience I wish to offer my students, with an understanding that winds and storms arise, that waves create, crash, and disturb, and that forces unforeseen cause turmoil in a student's life ... an essential component to teaching, I believe.

The river also represents a teaching style I wish to adopt, a meandering, ever-changing body of knowledge supplied by a rich bed of content and shaped by the banks of curriculum and pedagogy. The river is in a constant state of motion, shifting pace and shape, searching for a nominal path to an undefined destination. Similarly, we as teachers are on that journey as well, understanding the absence of a "nominal" way to teach and knowing each child's destination may be different. And finally, the picture offers a vision of beauty. Knowing our hard work and dedication to teaching can create an image of wonder, often enjoyed only by those who are fortunate to see, is something we can carry with pride throughout our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment